GET SPOTTED: 60Seconds with TheStreetSnapper (FashionSign Magazine Feature)


The Man with a Camera
Interviewed by Ania Kopiec (annakatharinaa.blogspot.com)
 60seconds with Calgary’s Streetstyle photographer, Don Loyaga, the guy behind www.thestreetsnapper.blogspot.ca

 1.    Let’s start with the basics. Can you tell us something about your background and what brought you to photography?
 I’ve been working as a full-time I.T. for a few years now but I started having interest in photography during my college years. I started with a point-and-shoot camera and would take random shots of people and interesting objects. After college, the first thing I bought with my first paycheck was a starter DSLR, a Nikon D40. I would frequently take portraits of my friends and landscapes when on a trip. From there on, people would request me to take their portraits creatively and get paid in return. So I thought of exploring photography more by enrolling on a short course for fashion photography & had an apprenticeship with a well-known fashion & wedding photographer in the Philippines.
 2.    What inspired you to start taking photos of street style in Calgary?
When I arrived here in Calgary around March of 2011, I was looking for a part-time that involves photography… but couldn’t find one. So to keep me preoccupied position while enjoying what Calgary has to offer, I started taking photos of random art, architecture & people around Downtown & created my street photography blog around June of 2011. From then on, my blog evolves into what it is now, a street style blog.
 3.     What kind of camera do you use?
 I currently own a Canon 5d MarkII & a Canon 40d as my backup camera.
4.    What makes you shutter go into overdrive?
 Anything that’s interesting enough to catch my attention, it can be street art, street sign, architecture, stylish people or even random events around me. Any outfit that is well-put together. It doesn’t have to be something branded, Classic style always work.
 5.     How would you describe the style of Calgary’s fashionistas?
 A good mix of trendy fashion and a more-laidback Western style.
6.     How would you describe your own style?
 Comfy-casual, I guess. I usually wear a shirt with jeans and a trusty hat or snapback. And of course don’t forget your Calgary must-have, a jacket. You know what I mean.
 7.  What is your favourite place in Calgary?
 Stephen Ave.
 8. Who is your favourite photographer?
Bill Cunningham and Steven Meisel.
9. What is your philosophy?
Take one day at a time. Relax. Enjoy life.
10. What are you plans for the near future?
Focus more on doing wedding photography because I really enjoy it a lot and get better with my photography style.

Checkout the original FSM article here: FASHIONSIGN MAGAZINE


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...